Sunday, October 22, 2006

Things I Have Learned This Week

My first week of working at home has been, well, interesting. This is definitely a huge adjustment for me, and so far I have had mixed success.

First, I have learned that I am not going to make homemaker of the year. I am apparently far to absentminded to be Martha Stewart. For instance, I highly doubt Martha Stewart ever had such trouble brewing coffee and making toast. I, however, have proven that such a simple task can turn terribly wrong if one is not paying strict attention to what one is doing. I woke up early, and was a bit foggy brained as I made coffee. Decided that I probably should at least attempt some sort of breakfast (given that I did not have to rush out the door to drive an hour to work) so I put in a piece of bread in the toaster. Took the stick of butter out of the fridge, noticed that it was hard as a rock, and had the brilliant idea to put it on top of the coffee maker thinking it would soften due to the heat. Worked wonderfully. Toast popped up, spread the butter on the toast, and then (do not ask me why I did this) I put the butter back on top of the coffee pot.
And promptly forgot about it.
Two hours later, after throwing some laundry in, printing up some new orders, and letting Bogey and Ben outside for the umpteenth time, I went back upstairs to grab another cup of coffee.
Ahem. Empty butter wrapper sitting on top of the coffee pot. Melted butter down the side of the coffee pot, all over the counter, etc. A nasty slick mess, to be sure.
One sip of the new cup of coffee (that was quickly spat out) revealed that the butter had also melted INTO the coffee maker as well.
Blech! For those who care to know, it takes about an hour or so to clean up melted butter in a coffee pot.
Also, butter flavored coffee is no good.
Later, in an attempt to redeem my competent home maker status, I decided to make cinnamon roles (from the can mind you, not from scratch). They turned out beautifully! Until I picked one up to take a bite and found it to be suspiciously "heavy."
Not surprising, since I somehow managed to cook the darn thing with the round tin end of the tube still stuck to it.
As my mother is fond of pointing out, I often act very much the "Educated Idiot"
Other things I learned are 1) never trust a CPA to finish a business assessment in the time frame promised when that CPA is also dealing with the end of a fiscal year tax "stuff." Now the "promised" date is monday. Let's hope so, I really want this homestudy to be finished! 2) When there is a world series going on, there is no chance that HOUSE will air. Luckily this is a world series I want to watch, although not my beloved Red Sox, the Detriot Tigers are my second favorite AL team. Even when the lose, like they did last night. 3) When you invite a treasured friend and his wife over to watch the first game of the world series, and it happens to be that friend's birthday do not offer to make him "whatever he wants" for dinner. He just might ask for a turkey (dangerous request given that I so completely messed up coffee and toast earlier this week).

On other news, I did manage to do something I have long wanted to do: incorporate "To Kill a Mockingbird" into a sermon. Today was my turn to preach at church, and the scripture choice was such that I was able to use "To Kill a Mockingbird" My next goal? Why, Harry Potter of course! Might take me a while to figure out how to use that effectively.

On a final note, please send good thoughts towards Detroit today. The Tigers need all the positive energy they can get, if last night's debacle is any indication of how they are going to handle the Cards.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about, "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." The house of Slytherin served their dark "lord." What lords (lower case l)do we serve? TV, money, power? Ok, not particularly profound -- just off the top of my head. Hmmm . . . is butter coffee at all related to butterbeer?

Kelly said...

good point re: harry potter. If I get that particular scripture, that is an idea to consider.

and no, butter coffee is not related to butter beer. I hope. If it is, then butter beer is some nasty stuff!

Nicole - Raising Animals said...

OMG! I don't mean to laugh at your bad day but since it was a week ago, I hope you see the humor in it! I've been known to make such mistakes....that's why Dh is the only "authorized" chef in the house...I'm not so great at those things!