Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The hunt for "Moon Doggie"

Thank you, everyone, for your advice about Bogey's newly aquired "toy phobia" and your comments on the crib bedding. Lee asked where we found this bedding (Hi Lee! We used to be on a Scottie yahoo group together!), so I thought I would share a little bit about the "hunt" for this particular bedding style.
This crib set (and accessories: rug, bookends, two peg shelf, diaper stacker, and lamp) is from the "Moon Doggie" line from a company called "California Kids." We used to live in Fairhope, Alabama, and in the next town over, Daphnee, Alabama was a "Tuesday Morning" store where we loved to shop. Well, right next door to "Tuesday Morning" was a baby furniture/nursery store and, on the wall in this store, was this awesome rug with a white scottie on it (the rug from the "moon doggie" line). I dragged R in there one saturday (this was after we decided to adopt and were sure we would be adopting from Gautemala) to check it out. Turns out there was a whole line of products with this cute white/wheaten scottie dog! And, of course, the whole line of products was ridiculously expensive and there was no way I could convince R that we needed to buy it. He looked at the price list and said "Ebay."

This was two (almost three) years ago. I have searched Ebay everyday for "California Kids Moon Doggie." Early on in my search I did manage to bid on (and win) the crib set: bumper, sheets, and comforter for a whopping 100 bucks (the catalog price for this set was approx $356.00 and up). Then there was a dry spell of about a year where nothing "Moon Doggie" was ever put on ebay. About a year ago, I found THE RUG on ebay and bought it (50 bucks, brand new which was a steal!). Then, just about six months ago, some wonderful person put up an auction with the crib set (two sets of sheets, bumper, comforter, pillow), book shelf, book ends, diaper stacker, painted "moon doggie" pictures, painted "moon" and "stars" pictures (Must have been done by the seller, as the line does not show these, but they are so darn cute!), and four painted wood picture frames that match the reds and yellows in the "moon doggie" print.

I bid. I won. Are you ready for this? winning bid 65.00 plus shipping!!!!!
of course, I now have two crib sets of "moon doggie" - which even I admit is a bit ridiculous. But hey, the wooden book ends alone are close to a hundred dollars (they are supposedly "hand painted" according to the California Kids catalog), so how could I not bid on this lot? Who knows, we might need that extra crib set. And if not, maybe I can re-sell it on ebay.

Now all I need is the elusive "moon doggie" lamp! But Ebay seems to be going through a dry spell with moon doggie stuff. sigh. I WANT THAT LAMP!!!!

No comments: