Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Law Mommy's Blog Challenge

G over at Adventures of Law Mommy has sent out an SOS- she is in between books and desperate for new reads. As an avid reader, I completely understand the desperation of not having a book to read. Not sure how much this will help you out, my friend (I have rather eclectic taste in books) but here is a list of the books I have read in the last month and a half:

Leaving the Saints - by Martha Beck (a memoir about her struggles with her Mormon faith. She also wrote a wonderful book "Expecting Adam" about the pregnancy and birth of her son with downs syndrome)
A Hole in the World- Richard Rhodes (a favorite memoir of mine, deals with child abuse)
After Long Silence - Helen Fremont (a memoir of the Holocaust. Helen's parents were from Eastern Europe, escaped to america, raised their children as Catholic- it was only as adults that Helen and her sister discovered their parents are Jewish)
On Hitler's Mountain: overcoming the legacy of a Nazi childhood - Irmgard A. Hunt (memoir)
The Morality of Adoption: Social-Psychological,Theological, and Legal Perspectives - Timothy P. Jackson, editor
Name All the Animals- Alison Smith (memoir of childhood/brother's suicide)
When Heaven and Earth Change Places - a vietnamese woman's journey from war to peace- Le Ly Hayslip
After Sorrow Comes Joy- one woman's struggle to bring hope to thousands of children in Vietnam and India - Cherie Clark
Finding Katherine: a spiritual journey to Vietnam and Motherhood - Dr Ellen Fitzenrider
A Wild Ride up the Cupboards-Anne Bauer (memoir: mother of a son with autism)
Send in the Idiots:Stories from the other side of Autism- Kamran Nazeer
Night- Elie Wiesel (famous holocuast memoir)
Learning Joy from Dogs without Collars- Lauralee Summer (memoir of growing up homeless. Lauralee eventually gets into Harvard)
When Broken Glass Floats: Growing up under the Kmer Rouge - Chanrithy Him
First They Killed My Father: a daugther of Cambodia Remembers - Loung Ung
Colors of the Mountain- Da Chen (memoir of a boyhood in China)
Falling Leaves: The Memoir of an Unwanted Chinese Daugther - Adeline Yen Mah
All Souls: A Family Story from Southie- Michael Patrick MacDonald (memoir of growing up in South Boston)
Change Me Into Zeus's Daugther- Barbara Robinette Moss (a memior of growing up poor in the south)
Three Weeks With My Brother- Nicholas Sparks and Micah Sparks
Under the Banner of Heaven: A story of Violent Faith - Jon Krakauer
The Baby Boat: A memoir of Adoption - Patty Dann

Some Fiction Books (cuz I realize I am a memoir Junkie and should include some fiction I read as most people are not memoir junkies)

Me and Emma - Elizabeth Flock
Mother of Pearl- Melinda Haynes (Melinda and I met while I was working on my M.T.S...she is a tremendous writer- before reading her book, the only fiction writer from the south I was a huge fan of was Pat Conroy.)
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee (oldie but goodie, I reread it periodically)

Well, that is about it for what I have read recently. I am sure I will go through a fiction phase soon- so perhaps we can do this again when I have more fiction books to report (but seriously, read Mother of Pearl. it rocks) Right now I am re-reading Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince....I hate reading this one, for the ending depresses the hell out of me. But I am hitting a 'no books to read" crisis myself and so I am delving back into my shelves these days.

No comments: