Monday, November 27, 2006

My favorite piece of furniture in the baby's room



The dresser in this picture has a story connected to it (good thing, right, as it doesn't exactly match the scottie dog theme). This dresser belonged to my mother when she was a little girl. When my mom was pregnant for me, my father redid the dresser and put the puppy dog decals on it- my parents didn't have a lot of money when the were married and it was the one thing he could do for my mom (and for me). When my sister had her first child, the dresser was given to her for my niece's bedroom. Then my sister had her son, and he inherited the dresser. Recently my mom gave it to me, so that when our child comes home, he will be the next generation to enjoy it.

My dad passed away in August of 2004, so our son will never know him in person. But he will have this dresser that his grandpa worked so lovingly on so that his daughter (me) would have a nice piece of furniture for her room. And I will be able to tell our son the story about this dresser- how his grandma had it when she as a toddler, how I had it (newly refinished with puppy icons) when I was a baby, how A had it in her room, and then A had it in his. And I hope that in the telling of that story our son will get a sense of what his grandpa was like- a man who, when he had no money, was struggled to make ends meet, and had a new wife, and a baby on the way, put what spare time he had into refinishing a beat up old dresser so that it was shiny and new.

So that is why, even though it does not really fit the "theme" of the nursery, it is my favorite piece of furniture.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing such a special story!

Jessica Johnston-Myers said...

i'm all teary!

Anonymous said...

That is really sweet. I love furniture with history... and what a neat story to tell your child.

Anonymous said...

That is very special and a great story! Thanks so much for hsaring it with us.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you lost your dad so early, but what a special thing to remember him by!

Anonymous said...

I love it and it does fit the theme b/c it is a part of the family (and wisely your dad knew you would love dogs) I lost my father this past June so I know what a blessing family stories are : )

Rachel said...

That is such a sweet story and the dresser is gorgeous. What a great connection between grandfather & grandchild. :)

Ange said...

What a great connection you have with your family. I think the dresser fits in beautifully...could'nt be better actually.

R&H said...

That's so awesome!