Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Adoption Wait

I was going to post about Ben's visit to the vet and our subsequent "drama" involved with his bandaged foot, but I am feeling pretty down right now and can't find the sense of humor necessary to write about it well.

Why am I a bit down, you ask? Well, let me tell you. I received an email update from our agency that reports the following: " for those families that got on the wait list this year in October 2006 of later, they should anticipate a 12-15 month wait."

We are not even on the wait list yet, as we are still waiting for our INS approval.

12-15 months???? are you kidding me? When we started this process the wait was 2-4 months, by the time we received our official approval from the agency, the wait was 6-8 months, and now the wait is 12-15 months.

I feel discouraged. and mean. I am not having very nice thoughts about China these days. Somehow it makes me feel better to blame China for changing their rules and causing so many PAP's to switch to Vietnam.

Not nice, I know. But damn it, I can't help thinking that those parents who switched mid stream (aka after their INS approval) from China to Vietnam are getting on the waiting list before people like us, who are still waiting for INS approval.

Now, before I get scolded for saying this, I am not claiming this is true. I am saying that this is what my dissapointed, stressed out, impatient mind suspects is happening.

Besides, I am not in the mood to be rational, patient, and calm.

I am annoyed. Royally pissed off, really.

12-15 months. damn.

13 comments:

LaLa said...

I am sorry you are feeling down. I have finally been given the ok to work on our dossier..I feel like I have been just sitting on my 171 for two months. Who knows what will happen with the wait and yes, China is causing people to switch. I just know that your perfect child will be ready when you are. You will get sooo sick of people saying that so I am sorry if I am the start of it...but it is true. There will be bumps in the road, delays, mountains of paperwork..and then one day you will be handed your son and it will all melt away in that moment. Hang in there girl...we will all wait together.

Stepping On Legos said...

It is so discouraging to feel like you are sitting on the sidelines while you watch everyone else just move on past you. It is the WORST! I'm so sorry the wait is so long. I share your frustrations with China. :-/

Cara said...

I'm so sorry about this news Kelly. There's not much I can say to make you feel better right now, but there are a bunch of people out there (the Vietnam blog world) that will support you through it. And remember, it will be worth it in the end!

Susan said...

Oh, Kelly, I'm so, so sorry! I hope you know you're not alone, and there are a zillion of us who understand what you're saying. Here's my unsolicited two cents... Don't be rational, patient, or calm if you don't want to. Feel however you want to feel. Sometimes that's just the way it needs to be. The sun will eventually shine again, though, and you'll know you can get through the wait.

Keep your chin up! We're here for you.

KelleyO said...

I'm sorry you feel crummy. The China thing makes me grumpy too. I'm right there with you, waiting...

Kathryn said...

Our agency just sent us an e-mail saying that the time also increased to 12-15 months. I forget what agency you are with. We are with CHI.

Jo said...

I totally agree, the waiting SUCKS!!!

When our Dossier went to Vietnam (almost 7 months ago) the wait was supposed to be 3-6 months, then it got jumped up to 9-12 months... So I totally understand what a pain in the butt all this waiting is!!!

Elowyn said...

Aargh. I'm sorry. It's so incredibly sucky. Hugs. Hate CIS, hate people making us wait, hate it all. Bleh. (((Kelly)))

Anonymous said...

Korea is slowing down, China is slowing down, now Vietnam is slowing down. It just sucks. Being on the boy list will help it go a bit faster -- I don't know what else to say. It's just what I keep telling myself.

Rachel said...

Kelly, I'm so sorry. It seems almost all agencies are now quoting longer referral times then they were just a few months ago.
And I know it stinks to be waiting on paperwork just so you can FINALLY start the wait for a referral. Waiting, waiting and more waiting. It gets old fast. It's OK that you're frustrated and angry. Let it all out. We will all understand.

Ange said...

OUCH! I haven't heard anything from our agency yet. I suspect that I am in the same boat as you, I don't think we've been logged in either, and our dossier went to Vietnam 80 days ago.I don't know how to wait that much longer, I wish I could help.

Heidi said...

I agree with everyone who said it's OK and good to be pissed off and feel your feelings.

I'm one of those "China" people who thought I might save some money and time by trying to complete a Vietnam adoption while waiting for my China adoption. Believe me, I know how you feel: I was initially told 6 months for China, now it could be 2 years or more! And when I started the Vietnam adoption, I was told 4-6 months, and here I am seven months later and just logged in with no referral in sight.

Yes, I did have my 171 and wanted to at least not consider that $800 completely wasted. But at this rate, I may not have either child for another 6 months to a year if I'm lucky.

It pretty much sucks all around.

RollerCoaster said...

Just wanted to give you a hug ans say how sorry I am that your wait has increased so much from what the agency originally said. Trust me when I say I understand...