Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The Check is in the Mail and more musings on Adoption

R and I sent in our dossier fee to our agency yesterday. I know it is a bit of a taboo to talk about money (that's private business after all) in our culture, and even more awkward to talk about it in relation to a child (we all shudder at the question "how much did he/she cost?"), but I have to tell you guys, writing a check for 3790 bucks is not for the faint of heart. Perhaps if we were independently wealthy, it wouldn't be such a big deal, but we are certainly not independently wealthy. Now, it isn't a question of is it worth it, because how can you put a money value on a child? It is most definitely worth it. Still, it is a big thing (at least to me) to write out a check for 3790 bucks! I know what your thinking, "if you have such a hard time writing that check out, how are you going to handle paying the country fee (that is around 10,000 bucks)?" Never fear, I will handle it, but I can't promise you that I will just whip out a pen, write it out with a flourish, and send it off without a second thought.
Maybe it is growing up rather poor in a rural community, maybe it is emotional residue from having grandparents who lived through the depression and kept their money in a locked box at the bottom of a wardrobe, and maybe it is just that I have an irrational fear of being broke.....heck it is probably a combination of all of these things. The bottom line is, it freaks me out to write out checks for thousands of dollars.
Ok, now that I have shared my nerousis about money, let's move on to the sibling/twins discussion. The question that I have been asked, by family members and friends, is why would you want two children at once? Are you crazy? (which, I believe, is a completely seperate, if not perhaps valid, question). There are a number of reasons why we have "opened the door" to the possiblity of twins or a sibling group. R comes from a family of ten children- he is very comfortable with living with more than one child in diapers at one time. R has also allways wanted children- there is nothing in the world that he wants more than to be a father. I do not come from such a large family, but I have spent a lot of time in my life with infants and toddlers- as a babysitter, as a nanny, as a sunday school teacher, and as a volunteer in a pre primary impaired classroom (mostly of 3,4, and 5 year olds). My family and friends joke that I am a bit of a pied piper when it comes to kids- for some reason children "glom" on to me when I am around. Two children at one time does not scare us.
As E. noted in her comment on a previous post, a lot depends upon what kind of support system is available to help out with the challenges of taking care of two children at one time. When R and I were in a position to start a family, we recognized the importance of being near family and being a part of a community of friends. That is one reason why we moved back to Michigan (well, it is back for me, as I grew up here) where my mother, sister, brother in law, niece, nephew, aunts, uncles, a zillion cousins, and childhood friends live. We also have friends in this area who have formed (or added to) their family through international adoption. Add to that the fact that we are members of a phenomonally supportive and close knit church congregation, and we have, I believe, one of the best supportive systems we could hope to have.
One of the other major factors behind our decision to be open to twins or a sibling group has to do with age. Yes, age, like money, is not something that our culture is comfortable with discussing. But age, like money, factors into our adoption plans. There is a bit of an age difference between R and I -no, not so much of an age difference that Maury Povich is going to want us on a show about May-December romances, but still a noticable age difference. Because of this age difference, there are many countries in which we would not qualify to adopt an infant (due to R's age). We both feel strongly that we want to adopt more than one child, and we are aware that the possibility of doing two seperate adoptions decreases with the passage of time- that is to say, between age restrictions and the ever growing time frame of adoption in the countries that we do qualify for (i.e. vietnam) the likelihood that we would be able to adopt again and ensure that our children are close in age is not all that great.

The other taboo of money comes into play here: the reality is that adopting twins or a sibling group is financially more feasible than two seperate adoptions. *please do not burn me here with gigantic flames of outrage, I am not saying that we want to adopt two at once b/c it is some great "two for one" deal. I am merely admitting that part of the reasoning has to do with the reality of the financial cost of adoption. One trip is less expensive than two. The extra country fee for adopting twins or a sibling group is less expensive than an entirely seperate adoption. So yes, as much as talking about adoption cost is a major no no, the reality is that adoption does cost money. a lot of money.

Here is probably the most controversial (and flameworthy) reason of all: R and I both believe that it is important to face full on the reality that not looking like us is going to matter to our child. As much as we hate to talk about it, human culture places a high value on blood relations- we identify ourselves by who our parents are, our geneology, wether we are left handed b/c great grandma so and so was left handed, etc. We can argue until the cows come home about wether or not it SHOULD matter, but the reality is that it does matter to people.

We, as parents, will never know first hand what being "adopted" is like - we did not come into our families through adoption. We do not know how much, or how often, our child will think about his birth family - the questions of why, how, why not, etc. I think it would be terribly niave of me to believe that he will never wonder who he looks like (birth mother? birth father?) or whether or not he has birth siblings (brothers? sisters? younger? older?). Adopting twins or a sibling group will not solve all these hard questions about adoption, but it will give both children the comfort of having a brother (or sister) that looks like him/her, that shared the same womb, that share a common history, that have (at least in the case of twins) never been seperated from one another. Perhaps they will feel safer talking with each other about their wondering, their questions, their feelings surrounding their birth family, their country of birth, their adoption, their parents (who are, I freely admit, not going to be perfect parents)- surely there are things that are going to come up that our children are not going to want talk to us about, no matter how hard we work at making them feel they can talk to us about anything and everything.

To quote Charlie Brown "Good Grief!" I have written a mini novel here, haven't it? I am sure that some of you are going to take issue with some of the things I have shared here. If you have taken issue with something, I encourage you to share your thoughts, objections, outrage, feelings, etc in the comment section. I do not pretend to have all the answers or to have thought of all angles of this multi-faceted complex reality of adoption. We are trying to make the best choices that we can, for ourselves and our future child(ren).

To quote School House Rock "KNOWLEDGE IS POWER"- so please do not hold back in sharing your knowledge with us.

7 comments:

LaLa said...

Hey, I am the first to tell people "color does matter, cultural differences do matter, etc..." We do not live in a colorblind world and frankly, I am glad we don't. It is important to acknowledge that our kids are not white and we cannot understand their feeling of being the minority in their own house! Now, like you, we think it is important for Annslee to have a sibling who "looks like her" well, Malia won't really but they will both be Asian, adopted and BEAUTIFUL..so they will have all that in common. I hope they will grow up confiding in each other and I also hope they will feel comfortable expressing their sorrow to me as well as their joys.
No flames from me...just a hug!

Rachel said...

First of all, I think the amount of time and energy you have put into thinking about all of this (and writing about it) is proof that you are going to be one terrific mother. Seriously.

I agree 100% that adopted twins or bio siblings have an advantage in that they have a blood connection. Because YES it does matter to them. I think the degree to which it matter varies greatly between adoptees, but it does matter. My husband for instances grieves more for his loss of culture than he does blood relations. But that doesn't mean he never wonders who he looks like, or who he may have gotten different personality traits from. (he was raised the only non-caucasian in a family of 5)

We specifically put down that we only wanted to adopt ONE child this time around. We did not want to take the chance of being offered twins or bio siblings because we did not want Ava to be the 3rd wheel, so to speak. To have 2 siblings who are blood related to each other and then her off to the side. I think this topic may churn up all kinds of emotions and branch out to other related topics. I'm interested in reading what others think about this.

Also, on the topic of money. Yes..this fall I wrote out the biggest check I've ever written. Not that it was some gigantic amount, but I'm not made of money and it's the largest amount I've ever seen deducted from my checking account all at once!

I think it's a valid point that adopting siblings is less expensive. (It does seem like a taboo topic when in relation to child, doesn't it?) One home study fee versus two, one trip versus two, and so on. I know there will be some who are opposed to this line of thinking, but for someone like me without a lot of money well, it makes sense. As long as the parents are prepared to take on the challenges of adopting siblings versus just one child (& I believe you are) and are doing it because they truly want to parent these children (which I know you do) and NOT just as a way to save money, then I think it's a perfectly legitimate idea.

See what I've done? I wrote a mini novel in response to your mini novel :)

Rhonda said...

Yes, those checks are difficult to write! Just remember the tax credit that you'll have coming :)

Anonymous said...

Quite frankly, I found all of your points quite legitimate, and the whole darned post very well written! The first time we adopted we were open to twins, and I really wish, for Tank Boy's sake, we could have adopted a biological sibling. However, he didn't have any at the time. Who knows now? Anyway, thanks for bringing up some very real issues that, unfortunately, can be taboo. It is kind of an intimidating, awe-inspiring, scary thing to write those checks, isn't it? Kind of makes one feel rich; then immediately makes one feel poor.

KelleyO said...

Kelly, we have more in common then just our names. I too have an older hubby. Thank you for the wonderful post you are going to be a great Mom!

Stats said...

I have been reading your blog for a wee bit and have enjoyed reading your insights, this is my first comment. My husband and I are also open to twins. . . for many of the same reasons. Our agency told us that only about 1 in 50 adoptions they place from Vietnam are twins, so our fingers are crossed but we are realistic about the probability. I really appreciate hearing your thoughts, thanks for giving me so much to think about.

Anonymous said...

Reading your story was like reading about my husband & I.
We to have age difference, were limited on countries due to age diff. , and thought of adopting 2 at 1 time to elp financially. It was nice to have something in common w/someone...We are waiting our travel date to bring our son home from Vietnam...see our site http://ourvietnamadoptionjourneytoourson.blogspot.com/
Its new and not as good as yours..still learning... Never blogged before..