Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Transracial Adoption- Food for Thought

Excerpt from The Morality of Adoption: Social-Psychological, Theological, and Legal Perspectives:

"We must acknowledge, however, that a critical consciousness about race and racism has to be learned. It is possible, and is indeed quite common, for White people to grow up in the United States with little or no contact with people of color, no suggestion that social reality is perceived differently from social locations other than their own, and/or no awareness that racism still operates at multiple levels in contemporary society. In fact, many of the messages aimed at Whites in mainstream public discourse support and foster the view that racial inequality was eradicated by the civil rights movement, and that the United States is a "color blind" society....When transracially adoptive parents take the opportunity to educate themselves and their children, to (re) locate their families to racially diverse communities, and to grapple with the sticky, often painful, issues that arise in multicultural families, their children benefit tremendously. Indeed, this is a critical factor for transracial adoptees. [ p86]

Hmmm.....I admit that I am one of the many "Whites" who grew up in the type of community the author refers to in the above excerpt. And, having moved back to the area where I grew up, our child(ren) will grow up in a similiar environment. The primary difference, of course, between my experience growing up in an almost exculsively white, rural area and his (theirs) is glaring obvious: they will grow up in this area being a non-white person.

I would be lying if I said I do not worry about the effect (consequences?) of growing up in this area may/will have on our child(ren).

I would also be lying if I said that I am willing to relocate to a more racially diverse area. I accept that it is probably the best thing to do (the above author is not the first to point out the benefits of relocating to a more racially diverse area).....but to do so would require a tremendous amount of sacrifice and plain ole good luck. Doing so would also require moving away from mother, sister, brother in law, niece, nephew, aunts, uncles, cousins and friends- familial and social relationships that I believe are also vitally important relationships for our child)ren).

The question I struggle with is this: Do the benefits of relocating to a more racially diverse area outweigh the benefits of living in a community in which there exists an extended kinship network as well as significant social ties - i.e. the "village" it takes to raise a child? (ahem. this is not intended to open up a discussion of Hilary Clinton- who, by the way, was not the first to use such terms in relationship to the societal/communal obligations to its collective children)

Am I being selfish for not wanting to relocate? Am I putting my own comfort (i.e. wanting to stay close to family/friends here) over my future child(ren)'s well being?

What do you think? Do you live in a similiar "non-diverse" community? If so, what have you done (or, for PAP's, what do you intend to do) to foster connections to the ethnic roots/community of your child's birth culture?

If you live in a racially diverse community, what are the benefits you (and/or your child) have experienced as a result of having access to cultural and racial diversity? How often do you actually interact with "people of color" and/or other transracial adoptive families?

8 comments:

saucygoat said...

Those are tough questions that are not black and white issues. The answers will be what is personally important to you and your husband, since the two of you will decide what is best for your family.

My husband and I are struggling with this same question, only we're the opposite of your situation. We live in an area that is well over 50% Asian, including my family. We are very seriously considering moving to another state that is mostly white and where there is very little Asian culture. But, the main reason why my child is exposed to the Asian culture is because it is in my family and my home. I am worried about having less culture in the neighborhood if we choose to move, but I have no doubts about it being in the home. It's too important to me to give that to my children. Yes, there will be less of it, but it will be there.

Would you have connections to people of your child's ethnicity in a more diverse area? Would your child have friends and playmates who are the same ethnicity? Could you do the same in the area you are currently in? I don't think it's necessarily the area, but also what you are willing to do. You have to have it your home, not just in the neighbor's home.

So, I don't think it necessarily starts with the area you live in but with yourself and what you do with your family. I think that the neighborhood helps, but has to start with the family.

Kathryn said...

I have often wished I could move to one a warmer climate and two a less expensive are, but I can't bear to move away from my family. I also love the area that we live in. Now that we bought a house we are an hour away from Chicago as well as to several smaller cities. We are close enough to the city to enjoy all of its amenities, but also far enough away that we don't have the same bumper-to-bumper traffic as we did when we were closer to Chicago. We're also far enough away that we can escape the hub-bub of the city and suburbs. Since we are close to very diverse areas, racially and also near family and all the other things I value, it's hard to say if relocating to a diverse area from a non-diverse area would be the right thing or not, since I am not in the same situation. But I also think family is very important and being near your future child's grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins is important for them to feel connected to someone. I really have not expressed myself too clearly, but I think you get the gist of what I'm trying to say.

S. said...

Ideally, you could have both...but since this isn't an ideal world, I don't think you can put a price on what a loving and supportive extended family can contribute to your child (and your sanity). I think having a close relationship with grandparents, cousins etc. is absolutely invaluable.

My parents live around the corner from us for 6 months out of the year...during the time they are not here, it is practically impossible for me to, (and I do have lots of friends who are helpful, but its not the same)...
Get a haircut
go to the dentist
go to the dr.
have a date with my husband
get the car fixed...etc. etc.

FWIW, I have no experience with transracial adoption (well other than the fact we are pursuing it!)--but I have seen how awesome it is for my kids to really know their grandparents, and I wouldn't trade it for the world!

Mrs. Broccoli Guy said...

We sort of live in between the two worlds. Our little small town is predominantly white, but there is a decent sized (2-3%) population of Hmong (SE Asian) and also Mexicans (who I realize are not asian, but also are not white!) and so my kids are not the only brown kids in town. And in the nearest cities there is a significant (20%) asian population so when we go out to the mall or wherever, they see a lot of asians around. My daughter (5 yrs) will often say "that girl looks like me" so I know she is thinking about this stuff. But I don't feel we should move to a more diverse area just for that reason... if it we were moving and a diverse area were an equally good choice as a non-diverse one, well then I think we'd choose the diverse neighborhood.

Rachel said...

First, let me say that I don't really know where we fit into the issue of transracial adoption since Tim is also Asian, so my view on it may be different than others. We live in a city with a population of about 150,000 and about 90% white. So, not terribly diverse, but there is a good sized Asian population for it's size. Ava has never really acknowledged race beyond the fact that I have "light skin" and she has brown skin like daddy. I know she recognizes different skin tones because she makes the people in her coloring books all different colors, but she has never seemed too interested in it and I really think it's because she has always seen herself in her dad. Plus we have Asian friends who Ava sees on a regular basis. I think this has all helped Ava be comfortable in her own skin. (Although she is only 5 and there could be much more to come as she gets older) So, yes I think diversity is very important...HOWEVER I believe growing up with family close by is just as important, probably more. Tim grew up in a tiny SD town (pop 800) and was the only minority and he has suffered no ill effects because of it. In fact I believe it made him who he is...friendly, caring, family-oriented, etc. I don't think you're selfish at all for not wanting to relocate. You live in a nice area and want to give the best to your kid(s). There's nothing wrong with that. In my opinion I would chose raising kids near their extended family rather than moving just to get more diversity.

Anonymous said...

Great topic! I had too much to say, so I just wrote my own post on it (giving you credit for starting it, of course).

Swerl said...

I strongly suggest reading the book OUTSIDERS WITHIN: WRITING ON TRANSRACIAL ADOPTION, as many of the essays deal with these issues specifically, from the POV of adult transracial adoptees.

Also, even if it requires traveling, we have found organized outings and other stuff with transracial adoptive families is very helpful.

Third Mom said...

Hi, I found your blog on Google, and hope it's OK for me to comment. I'm an a-parent, my children are both Korean and are in their teens. We live in the Washington, DC suburbs in a very diverse area, and I have to say that the diversity of the community has been extremely important to our children. When we go places that are less diverse, they notice, and they tell me that it makes them feel uncomfortable.

I think a lot depends on the community you're in, though, and your ability to provide your child with access to his or her culture no matter where you live. In other words, it's extremely important, but you can make the same connections in other ways.

Coincidentally, my Mom's a Yuper - she grew up in Calumet, and we spent a wonderful vacation up there when the kids were younger. The remember it very fondly, as I do. Beautiful country - I'd find it hard to leave, too.

So sorry for the lengthy comment, but one more suggestion which you may know alread - Harlow's Monkey is a blog written by a Korean adoptee that gets deeply in this and many other issues. I think you'd enjoy it.

http://harlowmonkey.typepad.com/harlows_monkey/