Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Inertia and our Vietnam Adoption

I have a million and one things to accomplish this week, and really have no business dorking around on the internet or posting on this blog. I have a sermon to prepare, a presentation for a workshop on Friday that I haven't even begun to put together, a fundraiser for the family center this thursday, two boyscout troops that have signed up to help with our community "Yooper Quilts for U.P. Troops" project that are scheduled for Thursday evening, and a get together for our congregation at our house on Sunday afternoon that requires a top to bottom cleaning of the house as well as a menu that needs to be planned.

But, Inertia has struck. hard.

I cannot muster up one lick of motivation to do any of the above mentioned things. Instead I sit here reading blogs, googling Vietnam Adoption updates, checking the Waiting Child list on our agency, and re-reading the latest update from our agency: "33 families with referrals waiting to travel, 154 families on the dossier list waiting for a referral and 203 families that have applied and are working on their home study and waiting for CIS approval [April 20, 2007 email]."

I have no idea what the other agencies are quoting to their clients, but the numbers we are seeing alarm me. R and I are part of the 154. Some bloggerland friends of mine are among the 203. Who knows how many others are signing up as I type this, upping the numbers even more.

I also have no idea what number we are on the list: all I know is we are part of the 154 people. I tried to go back and find the updates from January (when we officially joined the waiting for referal list) so that I could work out the math, but I can't find any updates from that time. I know we are not 154 of 154, but we sure as heck aren't anywhere near the #1 spot either.

Nor do I have any earthly idea how many of the 154 are on the "girl only" wait list, how many are on the "boy only" wait list, and how many are in the "either/or" category of the wait list.

I would write and ask where we stand, but I have this irrational (or is it?) fear that if I ask I might be making a pest of myself, and I am terrified of pissing someone at the agency off- as that can't be a good thing. Somehow our agency has evolved in my mind from " the agency who we waited a year to work with, we are so impressed with them and trust them with our lives" to "the agency that has all the power and we best make ourselves unobtrusive and passive as possible cuz just maybe there is a slim chance that doing so will curry their favor and we will get a referral sooner."

Stunningly stupid thinking on my part, I realize. Clearly I am reading far too many adoption horror stories on the internet. The agency we are working with has never given me any reason to question their ethics or to make the preposterous assumption that they would react negatively to any inquiry on our part concerning the adoption.

Yet the irrational fears keep their stronghold on me.

Frankly, the long list of folks on the list pisses me off. The "I want to scream at the top of my lungs to the whole world that I did not sign up for this" kind of pissed off. I find myself thinking of the different paths we could have chosen had we not signed with this agency and for this program. If we had known the wait was going to be this long, we could have pursued having a child the biological way (more fun, less expensive, to be sure) and then adopted. Guess what? With the agency we are with, if we become pregnant during the process, we cannot complete our Vietnam adoption. We could have also pursued a domestic adoption during this wait time [hey we might have gotten lucky (blessed really) like Jenn and BJ, who are the proud parents of adorable little Amos], but, again, our agency contract stipulates that we cannot do that either, and if we do so, we will have to drop out of the Vietnam adoption program.

I am kicking myself for not paying more attention to these rules when we started. Its the familiar "If I knew then what I know now" situation that we all encouter at one point or another in our lives. We didn't know, of course, that our wait would grow from a few months until a referral to 10-15 months for a referral.

In the end, it all comes down to money. Counting the homestudy costs, the INS costs, and the Agency fees we have shelled out around 7 grand so far. If we made any changes at this point (i.e. switching agencies) we will forfeit a little over 4 thousand of that money.

There is something particularly distatesful in the fact that we are staying put in this long wait line primarily because of money. Yuck. But the reality is we cannot toss aside that much money. Nor can we come up with that same amount to sink into another agency or program.

So, there we are. Stuck in the ever growing line of foks waiting for a referral. Wondering how in the world we are going to handle the possibility that this adoption has disintegrated from a "we want to be parents, there is a child in Vietnam who needs a parent, let's do this" to "There are apparently an unlimited number of people out there who want to be parents and apparently a limited number of children in Vietnam who need parents and are eligible for IA, which has created a rather icky situation of demand exceeding supply."

It all rather feels like I have drawn the "Cherry Pit" card on Candyland and the red square cards have disappeared from the deck, thus leaving me stuck for the remainder of the game. No advancing towards the Candy Castle or even moving backwards to the Peppermint Stick Forest.

R just came in the door, so I am going to post this uber depressing blog and see if he wants a late lunch.

Ta, everyone. I'll try to be more positive next time I post. I really hate being the Eyore of the blogging universe.

11 comments:

LaLa said...

{{{{HUGS}}}} I am so sorry you are feeling this way. I totally understand it though and it is fine to be Eyore all you want. We are all on this crazy path together and support is what we are all here for. Enjoy your lunch with your hubby...I will email you later.

Anonymous said...

You're not the only one who feels that way and it is a freaky thing to realize that nearly every country that allows international adoption has a longer list of waiting parents than the list of waiting children (or at least babies).
I have a post brewing in my head about all the people leaving the China line and the Guatemala line to jump in the VN line and how crazy it is that so many people think there is an unlimited supply of babies in Vietnam to meet the demand. ... Which is not to say that you should feel bad at all for your place in line because you and your husband chose Vietnam - and chose your agency - for good reasons and one day you will be glad you waited, I just know it.
Our agency had the same rule - once we were on board for the adoption, there was no adding kids any other way... which was stressful and a little annoying, but in the end a good thing for us.

Please don't feel bad about the "Eeyore" posts... every waiting parent has those days and I think venting on your blog is a great form of therapy. And also encouraging to others who may feel the same way. :-}

S. said...

(((Hugs)))--your feelings are perfectly normal. The number of people waiting is scary and overwhelming to contemplate.

Jo said...

Hey, be Eyore all you want. I feel the same way, when we were DTV there was supposed to be no wait... Well, 11 months later we are still waiting. I thought because we are open to a girl under 2 and some SN that we would have no problem, ya right!!!!

If money were not an issue we would have changed agancies too but, since we have all the money we need to complete ths adoption and for me to be off work for 3 months, changing agencies would mean we would have to use our person savings, not what we want to do...

This process s very hard and not for the faint of heart.

Hugs to you.

Anonymous said...

We just adopted from foster care and I wanted to wish you well... and tell you that I was born and raised in Marquette. Not that you care but I saw Yooper in your blog title and followed the link :) Best of luck with your adoption! Jenna

Dianna said...

Everyone loves Eeyore best... and you know it :)

I hope you find some peace. Waiting is hard enough as it is, and then to see those huge numbers and to start worrying about need makes it even harder. There is a baby who needs you. He or she will find you.

Stacy said...

Just to echo the other posts - don't feel like you're being a downer, those are scary numbers and rules and of course it's got you feeling down. We all have our days. Hopefully some kind of good news will come your way soon. And I understand about being resistant to disturbing the almighty agency with questions - but I think you should be able to ask where you are in that 154 without being considered pesky. No matter the answer, might give you some peace to know where you stand. Good luck and obviously keep us in the blogger world updated - even if it's not always happy-go-lucky!

Jenn said...

Kelly,

I always return to your blog because I absolutely love your honesty - in both the happy and not so happy posts. I think many of us would agree that we appreciate your posts...because we, too, are experiencing the same feelings.
I felt like screaming (but mostly crying) everytime I received the updates from the agency. I liked our agency, but felt like we were drifting further and further down the long waiting line. We just decided to get out of line just in time before investing money, or otherwise, we too, would still be in line. Our situation is rare and a bit of a miracle. I wish I could give ya a hug...and give you some words of encouragement. All I can say is I'm here for you..I'll listen to you vent any day.

Anonymous said...

Kelly,
I've always felt a special connection with Eeyore. I've been Eeyore a lot myself lately. It just seems odd, like the whole international adoption world is all slowing to some kind of grinding halt at once, and it's frustrating. And, yeah, the whole supply and demand aspect that seems to be coming into play here -- totally not what we thought we were getting into. Oookey. I keep hoping that the dam is going to break, so to speak, and thing will start moving along. I mean, there are kids over there waiting for homes, right?

Kathryn said...

I agree that seeing the waiting list grow bigger and bigger is so disheartening. We are still waiting for our 171-H. It's been a little over a month since the homestudy was received and the fingerprints taken. I just want to be on the official list already. There really have been few referrals this month, which makes it seem worse. They say 75-90% of people want to adopt girls, so hopefully most of that list are girls. You are open to either a boy or girl right?

Kathryn said...

Kelly - You should definitely find out where on the waiting list you are. You would deal with Diana at the Upper Midwest Office, right?