Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Sad News

I had hoped that after my last post, I would come back to my blog with adoption related "good news" to report: moving up on the referral list, say, or at the very least news that new referrals are expected soon. Unfortunately, I have no such news to share.

It is with great sadness that I come to you, my readers, requesting further prayers and well wishes for my friend J, whose mother in law passed away Saturday afternoon, and my best friend, D, whose mother lost her battle with cancer Saturday evening.

J's mother-in-law's funeral will be out of state, but I will be attending D's mother's funeral this afternoon.

While both J and D are very dear friends of mine; D is especially close to my heart. D and I have been friends for many years now, having met while we were both students at the local university. Our friendship remained strong despite my move to Alabama, and her more recent move to Texas to work on her Ph.D. D was there for me in many big ways when my father lost his own battle against cancer in August of 2004- graciously staying at my parents' home to take care of their cat and my two dogs so that I could be at the hospital during my father's last days.

I am heartbroken for D; I will never forget her phone call a few weeks ago when she told me that the cancer was back and her mother had only a few weeks to live. "I thought I understood what you were going through when your dad died, but I had no idea. I never wanted to be a member of this club with you"

Oh D, honey, I never wanted you to be a member of this club either. I hope that someday you will find comfort in the knowledge that you were, and are, an amazing daugther and an extraordinary young woman that your mother, indeed both of your parents, found great pleasure and comfort in you. I cannot take your pain away, but I can, and will, walk beside you in this most difficult journey of grief and loss.

8 comments:

KelleyO said...

Oh Kelly! I am so sorry sweetie. I am glad that your friends have you to comfort them, you're such a kind and wonderful person. Hang in there.

LaLa said...

As a fellow member of "the club" I can sympathize with you and your friend..although I know everyone's journey through grief is their own. Blessings to both of your friends and what a blessing YOU are to them and them to you.

{{{HUGS}}}

Ange said...

Unfortunatly that club has far too many members...I will keep you and your friends in my thoughts & prayers.

Anonymous said...

Kelly,

So sorry to hear this sad news. How heart wrenching life is for you and your friends right now. My prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

Oh, you are just being touched by death in so many directions these days... I'm so sorry for your loss and your friends' losses. They are blessed to have a caring, understanding friend like you to support them through this difficult time.

Stacy said...

Yeah, I'm a member of that dang club too - and funny how I've referred to it that way for a while now too. A rapidly growing club that you don't want to join and can't leave again... You and your friend are right, no matter how caring a loving you are, until you're in the club you don't really understand. But sounds like your friend is lucky to have someone like you who can provide the kind of support you can - where you know it's not about trying to find the "right" thing to say, but just understanding. Keeping you and your friends in my thoughts - and hoping for good news for you soon.

Anonymous said...

Stacy has it completely correct. I am luck to have such a wonderful friend. I love you honey.
D

Kathryn said...

I'm so sorry that you have had another death or twoin such close proximity with the others.