Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Random Thoughts on Madonna and Adoption

Although I rarely watch daytime TV, I did tune in to Oprah today to hear what Madonna (the pop icon, not the religious icon, obviously) had to say about her much publicized adoption of a 13 month old boy from Mawali.
First impressions (and wholly apart from what she actually said about the adoption): 1. since I haven't paid any attention to Madonna since the days of "material girl" and "spank me" (aka, high school days) I was surprised at her subdued, conservative appearance. 2. mature, conservative appearance aside, for someone who has spent most of her life in the public eye, she was decidedly not eloquent. In fact, she stammered, stuttered, and repeated herself. Dunno, maybe its the time change between Chicago and England. 3. What is with that Faux-English accent? (then again, maybe that is why she stammered and stuttered and was not very polished. maybe it is a hard accent to put on).

OK enough nitpicking about her appearance and presentation (seriously, who do I think I am to comment on that anyway?). As for the adoption of little David himself, and wholly apart from the impact of her "star status" upon the adoption process in Malawi, I think that her motives were pure and its unfortunate that the attention is on the "oh big shot star circumvented the rules and adopted this poor boy and took advantage of his "simple" birth father." I don't know about anyone else, but before this media debacle, I had no idea Malawi existed, let alone the extreme poverty and large number of orphaned children. If Madonna's adoption raises awareness even a little bit about the orphans in Africa and orphans worldwide in general, then that is a good thing. a very very good thing.

Also, (and this might get me flamed big time but what the hell I will say it anyway) the birth father of this little boy has probably been hounded by reporters and paparazzi and other such bloodhounds and doesn't know what to think. He wants what is best for his baby, I am sure. In a perfect world, he would have been able to care and feed and love him in his own home. This is not (big shocker here) a perfect world. How dare those people hound him and torment him about his motivations and ask him over and over -"did you know that"-"are you sure you wanted to do this"-"weren't you pressured to do this" -"Did you know this woman was very rich"- and toss other other such antagonistic probing questions at him in the hopes of getting a good "sound bite."

Adoption is never clear cut as far as ethics are concerned. It is not an easy choice for anyone: birth parents, adoptive parents, and child. We are fooling ourselves if we think otherwise. There is pain and loss involved. It is far more emotionally complicated than ladybugs, dragonflies, chosen child poems, culture camps, red threads, and the ever present "God's will" and "God chose this child for me" and "It was meant to be." It is far richer and far better and far more difficult and far more exciting and far more soul searching and far more EVERYTHING than all of that.

Is adoption a wonderful journey? Hell yes! Is adoption a difficult journey? Hell yes! Is Adoption one of the most exciting, most intimidating, most frustrating, most rewarding, most joy filling and most tear producing ways of forming a family? Hell Yes!

Ahem. now I will step off of my soap box and take a few deep breaths. I do tend to get carried away sometimes, but it is my blog, after all. So if I want to make a fool of myself and post it for the whole web to take a gander at, its my choice, right? never get in the way of a determined fool with a motor mouth. ha!

10 comments:

Ange said...

I really wanted to watch Oprah tonight but I had to work! Figures.
I think a repeat is on tomorrow though - so I'll be sure to check it out. I don't really know what to think about it all.

Elowyn said...

Preach it, sistah! Piper would a-roo, too, but she's snoozing at the moment. Long day chasing squirrels, don'tcha know.

RollerCoaster said...

BRAVO to you! No flaming will come from me! I didn't see it but have been hearing about her appearance on the local news.

Kelly said...

I think that you summed this up really really well. Thank you for this post. I know that I appreciate it and I am sure many others do as well.

Anonymous said...

I saw it, too, and I agree with the whole accent thing. I also agree with the whole raising awareness thing. My only lingering question is: will Malawi let the traditional 18 month residency requirement slide for others as well and give them interim adoptions also? If so, then no harm, no foul. If not, then the inconsistency, in my mind, automatically taints the adoption somewhat. Not that I agree with the residency requirement -- I think it's crazy, especially for a country with SO many orphans -- I just don't think one should be able to buy his/her way out of it, whether knowingly or not. And I was a bit bothered by her statement that she couldn't stay there for 18 months because of her husband and children. C'mon -- like her tour schedule has nothing to do with it?
E.

Kelly said...

E, I agree with you about the special treatment. It is certainly not something that you or I would have been afforded if it was us trying to adopt little David. And why she could not stay in Malawi for the 18 months- she probably could have, if she really wanted to do so. On the other hand, she is doing a lot for the Malawi orphans...and David will grow up and live..which might not have been the case if he stayed in the orphanage. The whole thing has a lot of grey areas, and I admit I am conflicted about it.

Anonymous said...

Kelly,
I agree, she is doing lots of good for the orphans, and for David specifically. And now I've read that some group is protesting the adoption on the grounds that Madonna and her husband may someday get divorced and cause psychological damage to David. Huh?!?!?!? Of course, who knows if that is even accurate reporting.
E.

Kelly said...

I read that on MSN the other day. What is with these people? Seriously, you would think that starvation and disease and being in an institution with few resources would be far more "damaging" than a possible divorce between Madonna and Guy Ritchie.

Nicole - Raising Animals said...

The adoption it's self I don't have a problem with...it's the fact that her "super-star" status got her preferential treatment. According to several different news organizations, Malawi law states that if a person wishes to adopt from their country, they must reside there for 18 months. The fact is that if I just decided one day that I wanted to adopt from there, and wished to side-step the 18 months thing, I'd be laughed at. Madonna clearly got that exception made because of who she is. If she simply wanted to draw attention to the suffering of the children of Africa, there are a million ways she could have done it. I think that her motivation for the adoption was purely selfish. And I do realize that the Malawi government allowed the adoption, but I think that it's their attempt to get the world to realize they exist.
Now that the adoption is over, you're still hearing more about her than the plight of the children of Malawi. I question if that wasn't her intention to begin with.
Personally. :-)

LawMommy said...

I don't have the energy to comment on her adoption, but, the fake English accent Madonna uses drives me CRAZY. She's a girl from DETROIT, not DEVONSHIRE, and it ticks me off that she hides that part of herself under that ridiculous accent...

Just my two (decidedly shallow) cents.

Gretchen