Sunday, October 29, 2006

Advice Needed

ok, all you great adoption blog readers, I really need your help. R and I received our official acceptance letter from the agency on Friday, including the contract, country guidelines, homestudy guidelines, etc. The contract seems pretty standard (i.e. there are no guarantees, and fees paid for services rendered are not refundable blah blah blah). However, there is one part of the contract that my neurotic mind has latched onto and is gnawing over like a dog with a bone:

....agree that all information provided with respect to the adoption process shall be held in the strictest confidence by both parties and no information or document shall be released to a third party without the consent of the other. Third parties shall include newspapers, internet, and other public media, as well as any other person or organization not authorized to have access to an Applicant's information......

My question/worry/freak-out is this: does this mean I cannot blog? or that I can blog, but cannot disclose the agency's name (which I have been careful not to do anyway, out of some irrational paranoia)? Does this mean I cannot post referral pictures (which is ridiculous for me to worry about at this point in the journey, but if I am going to freak out I might as well do it all the way)?

Gasp...Is even posting that little excerpt from the agreement in violation of the contract? Should I start looking over my shoulder? Carrying mace?

Well, I am off to sign this thing. Hopefully I am not signing away the privilege to blog and hang out here in adoption blogland.

Maybe its the time change, but I think I am getting just a tad loopy over all of this. Or perhaps its the whole "oh wow we really ARE finally starting!"

What do you think?

6 comments:

RollerCoaster said...

Well if that really is the case that you can't blog, then I am screwed! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm . . . obviously I'm paranoid, too, since I don't post pictures of anyone or mention the name of my agency; but that little excerpt would certainly give me pause. I suppose you could call the agency to get clarification, but maybe it would be better to just assume they aren't talking about blogging?

Ange said...

I think I'd talk to the agency. Everything in the contract is to the benefit of the agency, I think if you are careful not to disclose personal information about documents, the baby etc. you are fine. It does read " without consent of the third party", so I think they just don't want you bashing them on t.v, radio, or the internet, it makes sense I suppose.

Kelly said...

I think that similar wording is in all agency contracts. I was told that it is to protect the agency against public attack without first discussing it with them. I was also told not to post a full picture before our G&R because until that point, the baby is not technically yours. Just thought I should share what I have been told.

Stepping On Legos said...

I would talk to them directly and share your concerns and ask for a clarification of your limits. And i would also be reluctant to share just out of common sense, anyway. I have never posted Addison's picture or a lot of info about her on my blog or anywhere else online because I simply don't want it out there until tomorrow (G&R) and i would have done that regardless of my agency's rules. But usually if you talk to the agency they will explain the meaning of that rule so you can work around it.

Anonymous said...

That was in my contract too. But I have been a blogging fool!
I just never use full names of anyone in my agency. And I will not post full photos of my baby until after the G&R.
Otherwise I think you are fine to blog away!