Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Blog On!

Thank you, everyone who left a comment or sent me an email about my little freak out the other day over blogging about the adoption. I am especially grateful to those of you who wrote me who are with the same agency we chose, as it allayed some of my nuerotic fears. I have decided that as long as I am careful, there is no reason why I should not blog on!

Nothing all that exciting going on in yooperland- we managed to hunt down a free notary republic to notarize the one page document requested by our agency that needs to be included in the mass of papers known as home study documents (aka our life on paper) and everything has been sent out to the "right" people: the agreement to the adoption agency and the final few things that the homestudy agency needed in order to finally finish the homestudy. So much for "we will have it done within a week of the final visit." Ah well. Patience is a virtue, right?

In other news, I am becoming quite adept at putting catalogs together and packaged for shipping. 100 done yesterday, 300 more to go. Rather mind-numbing stuff, to be honest. I have to keep reminding myself about all the bonuses of being a work at home ..person (boy I can't wait to type work at home mom!): save a lot of money in gas, the dogs are not left alone for umpteen hours on end, I don't have to fall into full blown panic mode if I wake up late, I am not working with at risk teenagers anymore (which I enjoyed for the most part, but it is a lot easier to deal with customers asking about their orders than it is to deal with homelessness, drug addiction, teen pregnancy, child abuse, etc) and I am not having to drive one hour to get to work and one hour back again everyday (this is a big bonus now that winter is on its way...I so hated that drive in the winter time. and there are so many deer on the road that I am allways paranoid I am going to commit vehicular bambi homicide)...
soo....its all good, right? right! (oh please please please let me remain convinced of this!!!)
one final little funny story to tell....yesterday (Halloween) I went over to the new Family Center that a group of us have worked very hard to create and get up and running....with the idea that we would hand out glow in the dark sillicone bracelets to the trick or treaters, along with a little invitation card for the open house next week. The house that was donated to us for the Center (rent free for six months, then we have to pick up the rent cost) is located across the street from a pretty congested apartment complex- prime location for trick or treaters, right?
Wrong. Turns out all the trick or treaters (who were probably freezing as the weather was not kind this year) stuck to that side of the street and very few ventured over to our side of the street. So....I finally grabbed out little light up pumkin candy bucket (filled with the bracelets and little invites) and went out on the sidewalk trying to lure the kids over.....I wasnt out there but a few minutes (with several "takers" by the way) before it occurred to me what I was doing: offering treats to kids to get them to come to the house! Worse, I was a stranger (the enemy of McGruff the crime dog lol) standing out on a dark street, wearing a baseball cap on backwards (part of my rather lame costume: a red sox fan)- which probably made me look like a cross between a gang banger and the profile of a child molester. Yikes!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, way to entice those trick-or-treaters! Just think of it as a test of their safety skills.lol. Glad to see you will still be blogging.
E.