Thursday, November 02, 2006

The Baby Boat

A delightful excerpt from an adoption memoir I am reading called "The Baby Boat":
June 22, 1996
When I bent down to get the New York Times on the front door the other day (which day I'm not entirely sure; the days of the week have melted into one another), there was a front page article on children from Russia, adopted by Americans, who have turned out to be pyromaniacs.
Today, when a neighbor came by to meet the baby, she studied Kuba sucking on a rubber ball on the kitchen floor and pronounced: "He looks okay. Do you know anything about his parents?"
I was tempted to say, "We're terrific, don't you think?" and light a match, but refrained. [ p216,The Baby Boat by Patty Dann, published by Hyperion, New York, 1998]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha, I love it. I have been out with Annslee and someone came up, looked at her and said "She's Oriental"..the tone was hilarious b/c he really acted like he was letting me in on something I didn't know! I promptly said,"Yes, she is ASIAN" and ran away LOL

Ange said...

That was a good come back! I'll try to remember it when I'm in that situation!

JuJu - said...

I pray all goes well with your adopton!

Anonymous said...

Great story! And Best wishes!