Sunday, December 17, 2006

Fingerprint Appointment

Among the usual fair of junk mail, bills, and a few Christmas cards, yesterday's mail included our fingepring appointments. Which should be cause for great joy, right?

Unfortunately not.

The appointment date is for Tuesday, December 19th. The place of the appointment? Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

We live in Michigan. Milwaukee, Wisconsin is easily a six and a half hour drive from here.

Tuesday December 19th is six days before Christmas. It is also one of the last days we have to ship out our Christmas orders from our business.

Due to some major problems with our vendors being backed up, we are behind as it is with our orders. We have easily 100 orders that need to be sent out on Tuesday.

The contents of those orders are expected to arrive via UPS an FedEx on Monday, at various times of the day. Those items then have to be put together, processed, and packaged to be sent out on Tuesday night's UPS flight.

R has only been at his new job for a few months, it is a highly demanding job, and taking time off is very difficult.

In order to make this appointment and still meet our other obligations, we would have to leave here very late monday night (around eight or nine p.m.) and grab a hotel room in Appleton for a few quick winks and get up early to drive the rest of the way to Milwaukee, or leave very early tuesday morning (around one or two a.m.) make our appointment, turn around and drive straight home and work all through the night and hopefully get the last few items completed and sent out overnight via UPS on Wednesday.

Either way, R would have to help me by coming home from work monday and working all night (until we meet the UPS plane and then leave for Wisconsin- the monday night option, or meet the plane, work some more and leave at one or two a.m. on tuesday) and take Tuesday off for the appointment, then, after we drive all the way back on Tuesday, work through the night with me and then go to work at his "real job" for eight a.m. on Wednesday.

My mom said she would come stay the night monday night with the dogs if we need her, and stay Tuesday in case we get late shipments in so that someone is here to get the packages.

I have no idea who sets these appointments, but come on whoever you are- we get the letter on saturday, have to be there on tuesday morning, and it is in MILWAUKEE WISCONSIN??????????

I have ranted, raved and cried. Which didn't change a thing, of course. I have no idea how to make this work. And I have no idea how to try to change the appointment either. I do NOT want this to get put off, not with the long waiting list and the forever-and-a-day time that it takes to process these applications.

But for crying out loud: MILWAUKEE WISCONSIN???? HOW DID THAT HAPPEN???? on DECEMBER 19th?????

Is the Grinch processing our paperwork, or what?

7 comments:

LaLa said...

I am so sorry. I guess I never realized how easy I have it. Ours is in the city where I live and no appt. necessary..just walk in. I hope you are able to get this all worked out. Keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

That sucks. Rocks. I know it's probably different from state to state, but when we got ours I'm pretty sure it said somewhere that if we couldn't make the appointment we could come any time in the next few business days following our appointment to get fingerprinted. Why are the sending you to Wisconsin? Have you tried calling to see if there was some kind of paper glitch?

Kelly said...

E. we got the notice on saturday, and tried calling the number on the paper and of course got a billion automated recordings. R is going to try and call tommorrow and is sending an email right now to try to get it rescheduled. I have no idea why it is in wisconsin, my best guess is that the detriot USCIS office is backed up with applications.
The letter originated from Virginia, so I am thinkin the person who sent it out has no clue about the geography of michigan and wisconsin.

Anonymous said...

Kelly,
Good luck! I hope it all works out o.k. somehow. It just baffles me that they'd send you to Wisconsin!
E.

Rachel said...

Kelly, I'm so sorry how this is all working out...or should I say NOT working out.

We had to drive 4 hours to St Paul, MN to get our fingerprints done, but they basically let us come any day, any time. I really hope you are able to find a workable solution.

LawMommy said...

Kelly,

Look at your appointment letter again, toward the bottom. Does it say something like, "if you are unable to make this date, you may come for an appointment on any Wednesday between 1 and 3 pm until _unknown date out in the future______?

Our letter had this option, but, it originated out of the Cleveland office...

Hang in there,
Gretchen

Kathryn said...

I hope you got everything worked out. Being in the U.P., aren'y you closer to Milwaukee, then Detroit actually? I think it takes my in-laws 5 hours to get to Milwaukee and 7 or 8 to get to Detroit