Tuesday, December 05, 2006

I Lied

During our homestudy visit, the social worker asked us to list our strengths.

I told him that one of my strengths was patience.

That was a lie.

Now, in my defense, at the time I said it, I believed it to be a true statement.

Today, I did a little adoption math: time for 171h approval + referral wait time+wait to travel time= completed adoption.

Best case scenario, we might be about to travel by next Christmas.

Doing math makes me cranky anyway, but doing this math pretty much sent me on a completely- out -of- proportion- but -true -to -the -magnitude- of -my frustration rant. Luckily no one is home with me but the dogs, and they just looked at me quizzically as if to say "What is she going on about?"

Apparently, I really do not have the patience for this whole process.


Today is definitely a Charlie Brown day. as in, I feel like Charlie Brown. Or perhaps like Linus when Snoopy steals his security blanket.

And did I mention I found a grey hair this morning?????

9 comments:

RollerCoaster said...

I am right there with you only I told our SW I was not a patient person in general. I completely understand...we got our I-171H back in Oct., 6 months after we sent in our initial application and 3 months after our home study was complete. We got on the waiting list and were told 8 months until referral...and then 4-5 months to travel...that put us to Nov. of NEXT YEAR! I couldn't handle that kind of wait. I don't have the patience either, but on the tough days, knowing it will happen at some point sometimes is good enough to get you through.

Mrs. Broccoli Guy said...

There's patience and then there's what is required to wait for your child... it's a whole other thing and I think anyone who doesn't get frustrated has something seriously wrong with them. But then, you know how well I handled the wait!

I think adopting gives you grey hairs - or at least that's what I'm blaming all of mine on. ;-)

LaLa said...

I am sorry you are having a rough day. Hey, I don't like math either! I know the waiting is hard and believe me, it will be a rollercoaster ride from here on..lots of highs and lows but wow what a rush when you hold your baby at the end!

KelleyO said...

I'm with you girl. I keep telling myself let's pretend I was trying to get pregnant and then I compare pregnancy to my adoption wait. Sometimes it makes me feel better sometimes it does not.

Cara said...

That's my wait time too! I'm figuring next Christmas to the following summer. We'll get through it! I know there will be frustrating days, but in the end, it will be worth it.

Jessica Johnston-Myers said...

I feel you! In fact, my post today was simply this" i am impatient". Also, math isn't fun.

: ) Jessica

bringinghomebe.blogspot.com

Rachel said...

Ugh...it's definitely not fun adding up all the waiting times. Our first adoption was almost 17 months, so I totally sympathize. It stinks, there's just no other way to put it.

I said patience was one of my strengths, too. I'm sure we're both patient people for SOME things. :) Just not when we are waiting on our children. Who would be?!

Jo said...

Doing the adoption math just gives me one more reason I never liked that subject!!!!

I am sick and tired of being patient, I have been patient forever...

And to boot, I also have started to find grey hairs... How do you hide grey hairs when you have black hair??? High lights??

Ange said...

I think we all lied! Actually my homestudy was so long ago, I can hardly remember what we said.