Sunday, December 03, 2006

Is There a Doctor in the House?

R and I did a walmart run (the evil empire) as I needed a new inhaler and the walmart pharmacy is the easiest (and least expensive) pharmacy around here. I walk up to the counter, tell the assitant my name and that I need a refill on my albuterol inhaler. The friendly assistant informs me that they no longer carry that particular type of inhaler- news to me as I just had it refilled four weeks ago (ahem. asthma issues lately, long story).
"Oh" I say (yes, brilliant remark, wasn't it?).
I must have looked a bit panicked (the thought of not being able to breathe tends to do that to me) for she tells me not to worry, that she can easily switch my prescription to the new inhaler. The new inhaler has the same stuff (albuterol) but does not have the fluero- something -carbons (sorry, I am not up on my chemistry). Not sure what they are, but apparently they are bad things. Sure took them a long tim to decide that though, since I have had albuterol inhalers since I was 5.
R and I shop a bit, pick up some Dingo bones for the dogs, a few things on our list of Christmas presents to buy for family, some other odds and ends, and then head back to the pharmacy.
That new improved super duper inhaler without the very bad fluero-something- carbons? Well, it cost 32 dollars. with insurance! without insurance, the tech tells us, it cost around 90 dollars.
The old "white inhaler"? yeah, that one cost us a grand total of 10 dollars. 17 without insurance.
and this new inhaler is half the size as the "old" inhaler.
Needless to say, I am pissed. Boo Hiss to ProAir for being so expensive! and down with wal mart for not carrying the "old" inhaler anymore.
I definitely need to call my doctor and find out if all the pharmacies are switching to carrying Pro Air only. Or else I need to find some different, cheaper, asthma meds.
Do they still make those Primatine Mist thingies?

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I used to work as a pharmacy tech quite a while back and so the whole issue of drug companies & insurance companies just really irks me. There's a whole lot of greed going on in those multi-BILLION dollar industries. I hope you can find something cheaper!!