Tuesday, March 06, 2007

the strange workings of a deranged mind.... adoption fears

I do not worry.

I obsess.

The latest news in international adoption has me obsessing about some fantastical imaginary (hopefully) consequences that the recent warnings about Guatemala and the continued "backlash" of China's new rules will have on Vietnam adoption.

Freak out Scenario my deranged mind has conjured up:

Vietnam, allready under seige by PAP's who once were in a China Adoption program but now are flocking to Vietnam in droves [because a) the China wait is too long or, b) they no longer meet the new China requirements ]will now have another ginormous (not a word, but an apt description of the size) influx of PAP's who were once in a Guatemala adoption program and are now scrambling for another program because our beloved government has all but told people "you don't wanna go with Guatemala people, cuz its on the verge of combustion due to some really rotten dishonest people and greedy lawyers...oh yeah, and the Hague thing" (truthfully, what the state department website said was that PAP's should "strongly consider their options" but we all KNOW what that really means).

[How's that for a run on sentence? Would it shock you to know I have two degrees and I still can write a run on sentence of epic porportions?]

Seriously, my friends, Vietnam is not that big of a country. There simpy cannot be that many orphans in Vietnam that need homes. Certainly there are not that many infant girls (or boys) in Vietnam that need homes. How in the world can ethical adoptions continue in Vietnam when (excuse the economic terms, but let's be real here, economics plays a big role in adoption) the demand is fast exceeding the supply?

I never went into adoption with the mindset that we would scramble and shove and push our way to the front of the line for a baby. I do not want to be fighting for a child like it is the newest toy out of the market. We wanted, quite simply (and perhaps niavely) to become parents to a child who needed parents.....If there are more PAP's then there are children in Vietnam, are we really in the process of becoming parents to a child who needs parents, or are we fast becoming part of a maddening crowd of people who are putting such a strain on the system that corruption is sure to result and children who DO NOT NEED parents might well be taken/stolen/bought from birth parents just to meet the demand of PAP's and satisfy the greed of those who are making the big bucks in this "business" known as international adoption? [run on sentence #2...I am on a roll here]

I talked at length with R about all of this and suggested perhaps we need to reconsider our plans, or at least have a back up program. Yes, we want to be parents, and I am not about to take the very high road and not adopt out of some high moral standard that dictates that being a part of IA neccesarly translates into being a part of a possibly/ potentionally corrupt process that does not allways serve the best interest of a child in need of a family. Perhaps I should, but my own need to be a mom is a powerful drive that shows no sign of abating any time soon. Shoot me if you must, but I am human, an I am far, far, FAR, from sainthood.

I spent the last week investigating yet again domestic foster care adoption. I neglected all my usual favorite blogs (sorry about that, I promise to catch up and post comments very soon) and went looking for some foster-adopt blogs. And boy did I find them. Cindy's blog http://thebodiebunch.blogspot.com/ kept me captivated for days as I read through two years worth of posts about her family formed through adoption primarily through foster care: I received a first hand look at how the many issues foster care kids typically have manifest in every day life. Cindy, I am sure, is a rare woman- part crazy, part saint, and 100% genuine in her commitment to her children and all children in need of homes. That being said, while I admire her, I learned quickly that I am not cut out for foster adoption OR being the mother in a large family. Claudia's blog http://fletcherclan.blogspot.com/ was also an eye opener for me, and confirmed that, while I admire and respect people who have the tenacity (or calling) to parent children who come into a family via the foster care system, I am not one of them.

I plan on keeping up with Cindy and Claudia's blogs, as I have "fallen in love" with their families: however, I know deep in my bones that I do not have what it takes to enter into that fray. I may have fantasies about being the kind of women, and mothers, that they are, but the reality is that I am NOT that kind of woman nor could I be that kind of mother. Humbling to face that fact about myself, but when we are talking about the well being of children, it is downright abusive to try to be something that I am not..the children, more than anyone, would suffer. That is unaccepatable to me.

So, where does that leave me? Truthfully, I do not know. I am concerned (ok, obsessed) about the current and future state of adoption in Vietnam. No rose colored glasses for me, thank you very much. At this time I am not prepared (and R is definitely not prepared, he thinks I "worry too much") to hit the brakes and give up our place in "the waiting line" for a baby from Vietnam.

I am painfully aware that, when it comes to the ethics of adoption, there is a lot of grey areas. I may have to accept that, while there are things I can do to make sure that we make the "most ethical" choices possible, there is no way to be 100% sure (or comfortable) that our choices will be the "morally right" choices for all parties involved.

The whole thing rather sucks, doesn't it?

Then again, perhaps I need meds. Seriously, who obsesses about things like this?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

First - love the run-ons. I'm part of the "Save A Period - Use A Run-On" Club myself. :)

Second, I think it is great you are taking the time to think this stuff through and really seek to do what is BEST for all involved. You really speak to what many of us have experienced... going into adoption thinking there are just so many babies sitting there waiting for someone to adopt them only to find there's actually more people wanting to adopt than babies available. The sad truth is so many of the babies waiting for families are in countries that do not have the infrastructure to support an (ethical) adoption system... and also, like you mentioned, many of the "orphans" waiting for families are not babies but older children. (and often the orphanages/agencies make no effort to put together the necessary paperwork these children need to be available for adoption, wrongly thinking no one wants to adopt an older child)
That said, if you are with a good ethical agency and are willing to wait for the process to work appropriately, I think there is nothing wrong with being one of those people in line. It just may be that God has one child meant for you in Vietnam and then all the other waiting families don't figure in so much, do they? :)

Of course it also doesn't hurt to look at other countries' programs, just in case... Ethiopia looks like a good option these days (although it's also quickly growing in popularity). Also, I've heard that domestic adoption of non-white kids is very possible and not very long waits. (I was looking at this website:http://www.wacap.org/Domestic-AAI-adoptingfrom.asp ) and it looks pretty comparable to VN really.)
Sorry for the long comment!!!

S. said...

I can so identify. First of all, it is killing me that our dossier isn't complete yet, and I can only imagine how many PAPs formerly adopting from China and now Guatemala have jumped in front of us in line. And then my own fear that we will wait and wait, I am certain the wait for a referral with my agency is well over a year now, although I don't even want to ask until we are officially on the list...and then just when we are on the verge of having our dreams come true, Vietnam will shut down again. You are wise to have a back up plan...
But I am going to take encouragement from Christina's comment...I believe our daughter, and your child, are (or will be) waiting for us in Vietnam.

Cara said...

I obsess about it too. It's probably my only worry about adoption right now. I've passed on the rose-colored glasses as well. Reading this at work brought a tear to my eye as I've been having these same thoughts. It was hard reading what I've been thinking. All the turning a blind eye to things going on in Vietnam has me very worried. Immediate referrals? PAP's on APV say "No problem. It's all about where you are licensed and going with a small agency." Bringing large amounts of cash? They say "No problem. It's no different than writing a check to your agency. You can't control how the money is spent." I have no problem waiting how ever many months it is going to take, but it's going to be a difficult day if Vietnamese adoptions shut down. You're a step ahead of me as I have no clue of a backup plan. Sigh...I agree. It sucks, but I'll just wait and pray that things improve.

Jo said...

I'll join the club! I too think about all these things ALL THE TIME!!!!!

When we started looking into adoption several years ago, we looked into foster adoption and decided that was not for us. We also looked into domestic adoption for African American/ Bi-racial child, we decided at this time International adoption was best for us.

Everyday I question if we made the right decision. But, I know in my heart our child is in Vietnam. Now if we decide we want more than one child we will look over all our options again and decide what kind of adoption is best for our family.

This wait truly sucks! We have been DTV for 9 months this Thursday (not that I am counting!!!)

My husband who never really says much called me at work the other day to tell me that this wait is very hard on him and that he does not know if he is up to another International adoption any time soon!!!

When we started this adoption at first there was no wait for a referral, then it was 3-6 month wait and now it is 12+ month wait.

Pass me the meds too!!!

Anonymous said...

Howdy!
Just a visitor following a google news alert link. Found your blog very read-worthy.

Our family just recently returned from China with our daughter. (first child) We have friends still in the wait there, and other friends who might be ruled out due to new rules. The whole process, no matter which way you proceed, is full of uncertainty.

There aren't enough meds to go around to calm all the anxiety that goes with adoption. I don't know how many times we were told to "hang in there" and I don't know how many times we've said that to others. You can overthink anything. Keep the head and heart in balance. Believe in what you are doing, and that what is best for all involved will ultimately happen.

Hang in there!

an adoptive family in Texas

LaLa said...

You know how I feel about waiting..I am not good at it. With our first adoption (China) it was so different. China, with all its problems, is at least pretty predictable. You log in then you all get your referrals at the same time. With VN the agency choice is sooo important and then you have to worry about the ethics. It is enough to make your head spin. In the end, you have to do what is best for you and your family. I know all our children are out there..and we just have to wait until they are ready for us.

Anonymous said...

I do echo your worries about how large the Vietnam program might get. There are certainly a lot of parents who are moving from the China program and maybe others now like Guatemala. There are a lot of Vietnamese children in orphanages, but not all children in orphanages are orphans, and not all orphans are legally free for adoption. There just aren't enough adoptable children in Vietnam for everyone...which is going to lead to very long waits and/or corruption.

As far as your particular situation, I think you got into the program early enough that your case, even though you are looking at a long wait, will be just fine. And you're with a good agency...so take comfort in that.

Kathryn said...

In the back of my mind I am definitely wprried bout this too. How awful would it be to be about to complete the dossier and have them close or worse yet, have a referral and have them close before getting the child home.

I know someone who adoipted from Belarus and luckily the day after their court proceeding in Belarus that made the child legally there's the country closed. They were able to bring their child home, since she was legally theirs, but others who were in the country with their own child, but had not had the legal proceeding, were unable to bring the child home and the country has still not opened back up!

Anonymous said...

I'm in the same boat - worrying about the ethics AND annoyed at the massive influx of people, some of whom equate China = Vietnam b/c hey, they're both in Asia right?! Ugh. I think saw you're also open to a boy, is that right? I thought I read that somewhere...and if so, maybe you can also take comfort in the fact that the vast majority of China families want infant girls. Good luck to you!

Maggie said...

I think it's necessary for us, as adopting parents, to honestly and accurately review the functions of the adoption industry. It's not all butterflies and sunshine -- corruption is an unfortunate reality.

p.s. Both of the domestic adoption blogs you read are parents of very large families. I've never read Claudia's blog, but I've read Cindy's and she's really admirable. I used to be judgemental of the very large families until I entered the domestic older child adoption world. Now I know that large families can create a haven for children who may not otherwise succeed in a family. Sometimes the smaller family unit is too stressful for kids with severe PTSD, RAD, and so forth. But the big families are not the typical domestic adoptive family. They're a special type of family that is needed in our society. But all types of families are needed. The kids are all different and all have different needs.

Sorry to bogart your blog... I just had to get on my domestic soapbox for a moment. :-)

Anonymous said...

Kelly,

I appreciate your thoughts and comments on this and, as usual, could post a comment as long as your blog post. But I won't. I'll just say: Adoption is a beautiful thing because there are children who need families and families who need children. Fundamentally, it's a beautiful thing. It's just too bad that governments, corrupt agencies, corrupt attorneys, and the like get their fingers in it and muck it all up for the rest of us. Yes, the whole thing rather sucks. It always sucks when people corrupt something that could be and should be innocent and loving and wonderful.

Cindy said...

I'm just glad that people everywhere are still bravely struggling through the walls, the paperwork, the corruption, the discouragement, the financial issues, the waiting, the dissappointments and all the other negativities just to adopt at all. Thanks to all y'all for keeping on despite horrible odds. I admire all of y'all. All of us can do something somehow some way for someone some time.