Wednesday, March 14, 2007

10 Odd Things - aka I have been tagged

Since I have been tagged by two people- KelleyO (Bunny's mom) and E (Looking for George) and am now feeling quite loved and cherished (they like me, they really like me!) I will expose all things (well, 10 things) that are odd about me.

1. I hate feet. I think socks should be required apparel for all people everywhere.

2. related to #1, I hate anyone touching MY feet. This is a problem, as it is now Lent and on Maundy Thursday we will be having a foot washing ceremony. The Bishop will be there. Our congregation is rather small- so if I do not participate there will be many questions about "what is wrong." I am also the warden on the congregation (what an awful title that is...doesn't it sound terribly punitave?) and a licensed preacher, so not participating in the foot washing ceremony is definitely going to look like a failure to live up to my leadership responsibilities. And how does one tell one's bishop, "no, I am sorry. but I would have to kick you if you touched my feet." And what if I have to wash other people's feet? AARGGGHHH....it is a dilemma.

3. I hate ordering in a restuarant. double that when it comes to ordering food via the phone. Yet I will, without a second thought, stand up in front of a congregation and preach or give a presentation in a classroom. A 20 minute sermon in front of 400 people (not our current church, but a church at which I was a college intern) or a sermon that is live broadcast over the radio does not bother me. Ordering a peperoni pizza from a pizza parlor- terrifying. And don't get me started on fast food drive thru.

4. I have a scottish terrier who insists on drinking water out of the bathtub. Periodically throughout the day I will hear him whining and arooing as if the world as we know it is ending, only to find him in the bathroom, sitting in the bathtub and staring at the faucet with a look of desperate longing on his face. He will stay there until the end of time if I do not turn the faucet on so he can have a drink. Then I must lift him out of the tub, dry off his feet, and send him on his way. I have no idea why I must lift him out, as he obviously is able to jump into the tub on his own....but that is Bogey for you.

5. I have a pomeranian who sings everytime Jodee Mesina comes on the radio. Or the Dixie Chicks. I actually have this on film, and it is quite hilarious.

6. I love love LOVE Gerber Apple Blueberry desert. I got hooked on the stuff back in high school when I had jaw surgery and could not eat anything but soft foods for many many weeks. I cannot wait until I am a parent and can buy the stuff without feeling like a dithering prat and a poser.

7. I slept with my teddy bear, Teddy (yes I know, what an original name for a bear, but hey I got him when I was 2, so give me a break, will ya?) until I graduated with my Bachelor's degree. Entering graduate school and getting married forced even me to accept that it was time for Teddy to retire. But I still cannot sleep without him in the room. I should probably get therapy for this.

8. I fell madly in love with Kenny Rogers when I was 4 years old. I have every recording he has ever done, as well as every tv show he ever did and his one movie. Not to mention a bulging scrap book of every newspaper article about him. Try being in high school with a Kenny Rogers addiction when everyone else is into pop music. Talk about odd.

9. My dog, Ben, is named after Ben Cartwright from Bonanza. You can blame the Family channel for playing Bonanza re-runs while I was in middle school and high school for that. Or possibly the fact that I am truly and completely an odd ball with wierd taste. Ben is one of my favorite names, but, sadly, I cannot name a future child Ben, as they might think we named him after the dog...which surely would rack up the psychologist bill when he is a teenager.

10. I read. constantly. I am never without a book. Which may not be that odd, but I my reading preferences are rather eclectic. Currently I am reading a book on the life of St Ignatius of Loyola (who counted his tears, considering them a gift of the Holy Spirit. What kind of anal retentive dude counts his tears and writes the numbers down in his journal" But then, that is a saint for you- never are they ordinary blokes), a book on Vietnam titled "Beyond the Baby Lift", and a memoir about autism called "George and Sam: two boys, one family, and autism."

Normally this would be the point where I tag some folks, but everyone I can think of has allready been tagged. If anyone reading this has not been tagged and would like to share their oddities with the residents of bloggerland: "Tag, your it."

6 comments:

LaLa said...

Oh no..I don't think we can hang out. I love being barefoot and flipflops are my favorite shoes. I broke them out for the first time this year at the Zoo yesterday..probably not a great idea with all the walking : )
Can you conveniently be in the bathroom or something during the foot washing??

S. said...

I live in flip flops--but I can't stand the foot-washing thing either...I always try to have 1 family member in front of me and one behind--and it still bugs me. Probably not the spirit with which I am supposed to approach this, but I get where you are coming from!

Ange said...

That Kenny Rogers thing is by far ODD!!

LawMommy said...

Oh! I thought I was the only person on the planet who loved Kenny Roger's movie!! SIX PACK!! I looooooooooved that movie. I swear I have seen it 25 times.

Okay, I am a goober.

Gretchen

KelleyO said...

Kenny Rogers... WOW. You are funny, thanks for being so real!

fuzzandfuzzlet said...

LOL just tonight I stumbled on your blog. I am also reading the George and Sam book.