Monday, September 10, 2007

Help! Anyone have experience with IEP?

At the end of Hoss' developmental clinic "marathon", I was handed prescriptions for OT, PT, and speech therapy that the team said he needed in addition to what he would receive in the ECDD classroom. OT once a week, PT three times a week, and speech three times a week. When I shared this information with Hoss' ECDD teacher (who I adore, by the way) she told me that the school does not "accept" assessments from the hospital and would have to do their own assessments. Further, we would not have time at his IEP meeting to "get into" discussions about such things, as we reallly needed to get his IEP signed and submitted before he started school on the 10th.

R took off of work last thursday in order to attend Hoss' IEP meeting with me - we both were unhappy with the idea that the school would not take into consideration what the clinic had to say (which included Hoss' pediatrician, btw) as well as a little put out that we were being "rushed' to get an IEP signed without an education plan that addresses Hoss needs adequately.

The meeting was...interesting. Hoss' community mental health worker, K, was there, as was Hoss' teacher, the teacher aide, and, for a brief period of time, the school speech therapist. The principal was not in attendance (strange, as an administrator is supposed to attend these, at least that has been my understanding of IEP laws), nor was there an OT or a PT in attendance.

Despite pressure to "wrap it up" as everyone had "somewhere to be", R and I kept asking questions and revisiting the clinic's assessment of Hoss and his needs. Hoss' community mental health worker also tried to gently pressure the teacher to "do better" than what she proposed: basically, no one on one speech, no one on one PT, and two fifteen minute group OT therapy sessions a month. The OT created this "plan" for Hoss without having seen him in over a year (she had observed him once, briefly, when Hoss was still in his mother's care and he was sporadically attending an Early On classroom) and without having done a proper assessment on him.

To sum it all up, after two hours, and some intense conversation, I said, firmly, "I am afraid I cannot sign this IEP. Hoss' clearly has some significant delays and clearly needs one on one attention in the areas of PT, OT, and speech."

I think I shocked everyone, including myself. Bold, really, for me to do that. But heck, the kid doesn't have anyone to stand up for him but us, and I really am NOT willing to accept the "oh he will get all he needs in the classroom along with everyone else. We don't do "one on one" here, we do everything in the classroom."

Again, I adore his teacher. I trust her completely with Hoss' care and know that she is a great teacher. I told her this. But I also know that there are 7 other special needs kids in his classroom who also have their own unique "issues" that need attention. Besides, these are 7 three year olds, simply managing a classroom of 7 three year olds is a tall order and takes up most of her time and her aide's time...how is it they are going to adequately address the needs of each child-- especially when they are only in class on monday and wednesday's, and one friday a month?????

I realize that I could very well just back off from the school and figure out how to get Hoss to therapy sessions at the hospital. Indeed, I probably will end up taking him to the hospital for at least one of the three therapies he needs (OT, PT, Speech)- probably PT, as he is getting fitted for something called SMO braces tomorrow for his feet/ankles and I suspect it will require some kind of PT oversight. However, he is three years old. He has school twice a week (and one Friday month) for the entire day. Two days a week he is at the preschool/daycare program (7:30am-5:30am). That leaves only three Friday's in the month that I could possibly schedule therapy at the hospital for him without having to pull him out of school or daycare. It is one half hour to the hospital, 45 minute session, and one half hour back home. Now, I suck at math, but that is a hell of a lot of time when you are talking about 3 sessions of speech, 3 sessions of Physical Therapy, and 1 session of OT a week. Not to mention that I also have Little Joe to take into consideration: he has Early On classroom one morning a week (monday, from 8:30 until 11:30), playgroup for two hours on Wednesday's (it might switch to Friday's though), and daycare on tuesday and thursday from 7:30-5:30. Oh, and according to the team that assessed him at the hospital he needs one on one speech and OT as well- OT twice a week and speech 3 times a week.

Little Joe's teacher (who is the subject of a whole other ranting post) is also blowing off the hospital's assesment of his needs and says that between the classroom experience, the playgroup, and one 30 minute OT session every other month in the home (and supposedly speech once a week in the home, but she has yet to schedule that with me), he will " be fine." I also got the now very tiring "Oh we don't listen to what the hospital says. we do our own assessments."

HELP!!! how the hell do I get these kids what they need? I can't possibly do all of these therapies at the hospital for both boys.....good grief, even if I could, Hoss is THREE YEARS OLD- when does he get time to dance around in his underwear while he watches the movie Annie (His current all time favorite movie)???? And Little Joe is not even 2 yet - is it fair to have his whole life eaten up with therapy and school?

The whole thing is stressing me out and pissing me off.



(a shout out to anyone out there that knows anything about SMO braces- please send me a private email at angelsunday@msn.com and let me know what to expect and, more importantly, tips on how to get this little guy to actually wear them. Also, anyone who wants to email me privately about some tips on the IEP fiasco, please do email me.)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

From the short time that I worked as a teacher, which was a long time ago now, I didn't work with IEPs much. What little I did see of them -- well, they were a joke in that school. Just a hoop everybody pretended to jump through so that they could say they were in compliance. It sounds like that is what they are doing to you. Crazy that they won't take into consideration the opinions of medical professionals who specialize in those areas when they, as educators, do not. Good for you for refusing to sign. Having said that, though, I doubt that a school will have the staff to give the boys everything they need. So, I guess what I'd say is: shoot for the moon, but be happy with the stars. Just don't settle for dirt.

S. said...

OK--I came here to give you a hug and some encouragement--and I have to say, you are SO CUT OUT for motherhood! What an advocate you were for a child you have only known for 2 months! It takes parents whose bio. kids are diagnosed at birth much longer to get comfortable advocating for your kid at these meetings--I am so proud of you. YOU do NOT have to sign the IEP if you don't agree with it. and remember, if it isn't written in the IEP it won't happen--make them write it, not just say, oh we'll do so and so.

NOw, you must get the book from emotions to advocacy--wait, just realized I have 2--send me your address and I will mail it to you deacongirl at roverusa dot com

The Wrightslaw website is the best--awesome great resource!!!! If you are going to be taking care of these kids for a very extended period of time, and you ever have the opportunity to go to one of the workshops, you HAVE to go, they are wonderful.

One of his tips for future IEP meetings and esp. for you since you are involved with the church--bring the priest (and have him wear his color). You can bring whoever you want, just having an extra person on your side is great, and Pete wright says it also makes them be much more respectful if there is clergy in the room, LOL.

Seriously, you are an awesome mom already--will you come with me to my next IEP mtg., LOL!
Shannon

Jen said...

I agree with the others--but you may want to see what your state has in terms of early childhood intervention programs. My friend in DC was able to get someone to come to the home for speech therapy 3x a week. I know that in TX these services are available for speech and OT--not sure about the PT.

I wish you luck! The only thing that pays off in this game is persistance and knowing what you are entitled to. Sounds like you are off to an amazing start!

Lisa & Jason said...

They may not be required to accept outside evaluations but they MUST provide evaluation if the parent or guardian requests. There is a couple advocacy groups in Michigan that can give you more information and assistance in working with the district. Their websites are

Citizens Alliance to Uphold Special Education (CAUSE)
http://www.causeonline.org/

Student Advocacy Center of Michigan
http://www.studentadvocacycenter.org/education/index.shtml

Melanie said...

I wish I had more information for you. Right now I'm taking notes so I can remember this in case/when I experience the same thing. The foster care system seems to be soooo screwed up. I don't understand how hours upon hours of various forms of therapy can help if it's driving the caregivers crazy! I want to give a child everything they need to succeed, but there has to be a limit somewhere. As soon as you learn what the options are, please share as I will be listening.

Anonymous said...

What state are you in? Request evaluations in writing addressed to the principal. School law does state a different criteria for therapies within a school framework as opposed to a hospital. I have worked in both. Don't stop advocating for your child. He is all you have. Kudos to you. If your child is 3, it is the school's responsibility to ensure he or she receives the services that is needed to be successful academically.

mam said...

No tips from me, but much admiration and psychic bloggy support. You're wonderful.

Intrepidgirl said...

Wow, I also agree that you are a tremendous advocate for the kids! Good work!

I'm a school-based speech path so I have lots of ideas to (hopefully) help you out.

The outside clinical assessments are good and definitely build your case. It is true that the school district needs to do its own assessments. I review the outside assessments, but I also need to see the child on my own to confirm. I don't think I've ever disagreed with an outside speech report. But then I have to write my own & often I site the outside report in my report.

However, the recommendation of 3x per week of speech is really high. I worked in a clinic during grad school and we were told to over-recommend speech, even to the point of what is not logistically possible. I believe in the school setting, 2x per week (two 30-minute sessions) is the maximum that's logistically possible. If he's only there 2 days a week, the speech path will really struggle to actually provide that time what with school events (gym, music, lunch, field trips, illness, etc).

I bet the school district really struggles to provide the staff and programs for the kids. OT/PT/speech are in high demand and good people are hard to find. In Chicago's schools, there are tons of special programs and many professionals, so we have lots of options for the kids like Hoss.

There is a huge push from the teaching/special ed/speech profession to provide services in the classroom. It's called LRE, least restrictive environment. I do provide speech therapy in the classroom with the little ones. My boss tracks my provision of services in the classroom & if I do too much "pull-out," I get in trouble. A lot of speech paths really resent providing services in the classroom, but we do what we're told. I think LRE is in the IDEA law (Google it). Many parents and researchers feel that it's better for the child to remain with their classmates as to not feel left out or feel different.

The OT seems to have really dropped the ball since she hasn't formally evaluated your son. She can't write a plan if she hasn't evaluated him or even seen him in more than a year.

I think the OT's behavior constitutes some kind of procedural error as well as not having some kind of district representative there (like the principal). Is there a case manager who coordinates the special ed cases? That person qualifies as a administrator/district representative.

I would ask for another meeting and continue to advocate. You need the principal there. Be firm but as nice as possible. Us teachers really dislike pushy parents, especially when they are unreasonable. If they feel like you respect them & understand where they are coming from, you may get more out of them. Sadly, my least favorite kid last year had the most pushy mom.

If you want to email me privately, you are more than welcome too. (click on my picture)

Good luck!

S. said...

I agree with Sarah that 3X/week speech is probably not realistic, but if he needs 2x he should get it.

Re: LRE, inclusion is about so much more than having the child not feel left or feel different. It is simply more effective, and good for all children, as study after study shows. And for some children, the LRE may NOT be in the typical classroom. But I watch (behind the one-way mirror) as my son participates with his typical peers and is learning and thriving--again, it is about him receiving the appropriate education, which FOR HIM would not be in a segregated classroom.

S. said...

OK, 2 pm--can you be here by then! Wish me luck--they are already trying to say speech only 1x/week--L. is 4!!!! and says Mama and Papa--that is it. He had it twice/week last year and I never signed anything to change it. I already told them I'm not signing unless it is 2/week.

Native Pride said...

K, I admire you so much for taking on such a huge undertaking. You are do such a great job!!!
My son had to wear braces and we made some for a doll that he could help put on. We played games and he helped put them on the doll, then he would help put his on. He loved to play with the doll and his braces. It helped a lot!

Kelly said...

I think you are acting like a great advocate for Hoss and I encourage you to keep it up.

One of my projects is an early intervention and special education mediation program in AR and we help parents and school personnel work together to create tailored IEPs. Michigan has a similar program. Check it out here: http://www.cenmi.org/msemp/

I always suggest that parents keep trying to work with the teachers and administrators first, because many of them are trying to do what is best for the children. They see things in the classroom that parents or doctors don't see. On the other hand they are working with limited resources, and they don't want to have to spend time or money where they don't have to. Mediation can help parents and teachers to speak the same language and to work together to get children into appropriate services quickly.

Good luck!


Kelly

Anonymous said...

Good for you!I have been to lots of IEP meetings as a Regular Education Teacher Representative. It is always sad to see the parents that don't ask any questions. From what you said the school hasn't finished evaluating (and really aren't ready to write the IEP). By law they must provide speech if the child qualifies, as well as OT,PT and what ever else is needed. You should also get a copy of a draft of the IEP before meeting to finalize and sign it. It is a leagal document and you do have legal rights based on what is written in the IEP document.
Like the other posters mentioned, be firm but nice. Don't sign until all your questions are answered.If you have to get together again then that is what has to happen. You are also able to call a IEP meeting to go over goals and rewrite any part of the IEP at anytime.

These boys are lucky to have you in their lives. feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Terri
a l l e 1 5 6 at hotmail dot com

JVannice said...

I have many thoughts however many people have left you very good comments. I am a school psychologist focused on early intervention and my husband is a special education teacher focused on due process cases.

A couple of things come to mind. The type (public or private) of school your child is attending may make a difference. If they are attending a private school they do not have to follow federal legislation (IDEA) if they do not recieve federal money. However, if they are public or recieve federal monies they must follow legislation. In that case IDEA Part C focuses on early intervention practices. There should be a child find program in your state setup for this purpose. You can often find this program by calling your local department of human services/Department of social services.

The other thought is to know that you have support and assistance as a parent advocating for your child. There are many citizens groups, professors of special education, and other professional groups (School psychologist, school counselors, etc) that can be helpful resources in navigating all of the tape involved in special education. Know that due process is always an option, however hopefully and easier, more affordable way for you child to have his education needs met can be found.

You have to champion your child's cause......continue to be a voice and strong advocate for your child or children in your care!

Kathryn said...

Kelly - I just wanted to say "HI"! It has been a while since you posted! We'd love to know how the boys are doing and what have you decided to do as far as the Vietnam adoption. Time's up gotta get ready for work!